Monday, October 5, 2015

"We'll Call It Vermicompost Because That Sounds More Sophisticated"

(Building a Worm Farm)

I've been doing more posts lately about sustainable living... And by that I mean, I did one once, it was cool, and now I'm pretending to be an expert. That being said, I have conducted a fair amount of research into fertilizer. I don't want to explain how "worm humus" got into my search history, but anyways, here we are. It's obvious that a compost highly saturated with nutrients will prove more beneficial to plant life. The issue is the expense of such quality soil. Never fear! In one fell swoop you can dispose of your fruit and vegetable waste in a way that benefits you agriculturally and is favorable to the environment.
How so? Well, I hope you read the title. It's called vermicompost-- to be a teensy bit less verbose, it's worm manure, and it's an unbelievably powerful, natural fertilizer. Worms, particularly the favored species Eisenia fetida, are built for decomposing decaying organic material into less contaminated, nutrient-dense soil. It's like a superpower no one wants, because hey, they've got to eat that stuff!

For a long time, worms went largely thankless for their good deeds towards humanity. Now, they're utilized in both large-scale factories and backyard farms to churn out nutrients that ultimately benefit their entire ecosystem on the whole.
It's all wibbly-wobbly squiggly-wiggly stuff, but you get the idea.

In the following video, I'll walk you through the steps to harnessing the incredible power of these gifted decomposers in the form of a mini worm farm. Happy gardening, y'all! <3





No comments:

Post a Comment

Heyya! I'd love to hear what you think(: